A message from EWU Human Resources:
As we begin the 2022-23 academic year, it is important to ensure we are staffed with a presence on campus to provide exceptional, in-person service which contributes to Eastern’s goal of student retention. A sense of community and a vibrant campus experience is key to engaging our students.
As we begin the new academic year, we want to ensure we have current, up-to-date, approved telework plans on file with Human Resources. Effective Sept. 9, 2022, all current telework plans will expire. Teleworking for eligible employees will be limited to up to one day per week throughout fall quarter to make sure we are effectively meeting the needs of our students. In order to telework after Sept. 9, 2022, employees must submit a new EWU telework request for approval to their associate vice president, dean or vice president, if a direct report. You will find the link here.
To support our employees in this process, we encourage supervisors to timely review telework requests. All requests must receive final approval from a vice president and be filed with Human Resources before an employee may begin teleworking pursuant to the policy.
Pursuant to EWU Policy 401-09, telework agreements are limited to one year or less and may only be authorized if numerous requirements are met including, but not limited to:
- The arrangement will allow the employee to perform the essential functions of the position effectively and productively and the employee has proven the ability to do so.
- There is a sufficient amount of work being proposed.
- The employee has a proven ability to work independently.
- Effective communication with the supervisor, co-workers and customers is possible.
- The employee has the ability to be flexible about the telework arrangement, respond to all operational needs.
It is important to ensure our offices and operations are open to meet the Eastern’s business needs and to support our students, who are our number one priority. In addition to telework, employees may work with their supervisors to explore options for flexible schedules (i.e. 4/10s, alternate work hours such as 9 a.m.-6 p.m. or 7 a.m.-4 p.m., etc.) to help foster a healthy work-life balance.
Working together, let’s make this our best fall ever. Go Eags!