Eastern Washington University is hosting a series of virtual forums and town halls designed to inform students, faculty, staff and the community about critical issues and races as we inch closer to the Nov. 3 election.
The College of Social Sciences’ (CSS) Your Future, Your Vote virtual event runs Oct. 19-23. This voter engagement and education week features experts from EWU and Spokane County offering insights into some of our state and nation’s most pressing issues—including voter suppression and security, the history of the electoral college and the rise of private militias.
“Voting is our most important right and duty as citizens,” says Vernon Loke, PhD, associate dean of CSS and professor of social work at EWU. “This event is designed to inform and involve our students and the broader community in the process as we vote and stake out our future.”
During the week, candidates for several statewide and congressional offices will take part in a series of virtual town halls. You’re invited to submit questions for the candidates online prior to the events.
Schedule of Events
Keynote Address: noon-1 p.m.
- Monday, Oct. 19 — Breann Beggs, Spokane City Council President
Teach-in Sessions: 11-11:50 a.m.
- Monday, Oct. 19 — Securing Your Vote
- Vicky Dalton, Spokane County Auditor
- Tuesday, Oct. 20 — Impact of Private Militias
- John Collins, PhD, Chertok Endowed Professor and Senior Lecturer of History, EWU
- Wednesday, Oct. 21 — Gender in American Elections
- Jacki Tyler, PhD, Assistant Professor of History and Director of Social Studies Education Program, EWU
- Thursday, Oct. 22 — Addressing Voter Suppression
- Travis Ridout, PhD, Thomas S. Foley Distinguished Professor of Government and Public Policy and Director of School of Politics, Philosophy and Public Affairs, WSU
- Friday, Oct. 23 — The Electoral College
- Kevin Pirch, PhD, Professor of Political Science, EWU
Virtual Town Halls: noon to 1 p.m.
- Tuesday, Oct. 20 — Zack Zappone, Candidate for 6th Legislative District, Position 1
- Wednesday, Oct. 21 — Dave Wilson, Candidate for WA 5th Congressional District
- Thursday, Oct. 22 — Governor Jay Inslee, Candidate for Office of Governor
- Friday, Oct. 23 — Tom McGarry, Candidate for 6th Legislative District, Position 2
Editor’s note: EWU invited all eligible candidates to participate. The schedule is subject to change.
Please visit ewu.edu/vote for additional details on each event and the links to connect via Zoom. The Zoom webinars may fill up quickly. You’re also invited to listen live on KEWU-FM (89.5) or watch on KHQ.com. KHQ will also provide a video of each segment for those who are unable to catch it live.
1 thought on “CSS Hosting ‘Your Future, Your Vote’ Series this Week”
Comments are closed.