When working or studying at home, it is important to have a healthy workspace and work practices. Here are some suggestions for your workspace and practices:
Take frequent breaks.
- Look away from your screen and focus on something 20 feet away every 20 minutes.
- Stand up and walk around every hour; get some water or walk around the block.
Make sure your screen is level with your eyes so you don’t have to look down.
- Prop up your laptop, use items around your house like boxes or books.
Keep your keyboard and mouse at elbow height.
- Once your laptop is propped up, use an external keyboard and mouse.
- Roll up a dishtowel or t-shirt to protect your arms from hard surfaces and edges
Sit up straight and keep your back and feet supported.
- Sit all the way back in your chair
- Use an office chair when possible
- Roll up a towel or piece of clothing and put it behind your back if you need some lumbar support.
- Use a box or step stool if your feet don’t sit flat on the floor.
Here are a few references for home ergonomics: