The University Safety Committee plays an important role in protecting the safety of students, employees, and visitors, and for preventing damage or loss to university-owned property. The purpose of the Safety Committee is to:
- Review safety and health inspection reports as needed to assist the university in correcting safety hazards on campus
- Evaluate accident investigations as needed and evaluate whether the cause of any unsafe conditions were identified and corrected
- Evaluate the university's workplace accident and illness prevention program and discuss recommendations for improvement, if needed.
The committee serves as a forum for the discussion of workplace safety topics. Members are expected to represent their respective groups and share general safety concerns with the committee. The Safety Committee is an advisory group. Recommendations from the committee should be forwarded to the Associate Vice President for Facilities and the Associate Vice President for Civil Rights, Compliance & Enterprise Risk Management.
Safety Committee Members
Safety Committee members are appointed for a one-year period and are expected to attend all meetings during their year of service. Members can serve multiple terms.
The Safety Committee is comprised of the following representatives (updated 7/1/19):
- Manager of Environmental Health & Safety
- Chad Johnson
- One administrative exempt employee selected by the Chief of Staff
- Dave Meany, Marketing and Communication
- One faculty member selected by the United Faculty of Eastern
- Drew Ayers, Theater
- One administrative exempt employee selected by the Public School Employees of Washington
- Jessica Berwick, Career Center
- One classified employee selected by the Washington Federation of State Employees
- Dave Sundstrom, Custodial
- One student selected by the Associated Students of Eastern Washington University
- Jessica Lo, ASEWU
The Safety Committee will meet at least once each quarter during the academic year. Members are provided notice of the date, time and location as far in advance as possible.