Our police department has 13 commissioned police officers who patrol and protect our campus community 24 hours a day, year-round. Our department’s primary jurisdiction is the 325-acre campus, which includes a population of over 12,300 students and 1,200 faculty/staff members. Community oriented policing is at the heart of our success here in Eagle Country. Our department is committed to building relationships with community members while providing the highest level of service to keep our citizens safe.
On a typical shift, our officers engage in a wide variety of activities, such as:
- Responding to, investigating and solving crimes;
- Patrolling the streets, residence halls, administrative buildings and grounds of our campus;
- Providing safety and security at sporting events and other special events;
- Assisting our campus community with battery jumps, safety escorts, vehicle and door unlocks;
- Providing backup to neighboring agencies; and
- Connecting our vulnerable community members with resources and services.
Officers that wear our uniform take an oath to honestly and faithfully serve and protect our campus and community. Our officers take this job to heart, and it requires top-notch training and education. Our officers participate in an average of 54 hours of training per year, which enables them to stay up-to-date on various law enforcement topics and changing technology, prepares them for split-second decisions, allows them to effectively serve and protect the public, as well as advancing their careers and enabling growth in the department.
We are very dedicated to our goal of recruiting, training, and developing our employees, as well as our objective to hire only THE most qualified individuals through a strong commitment to our hiring standards.
Interested individuals can check for position openings and apply for jobs at the EWU Employment Opportunities page. Questions can be directed to any university police officer.
Thank you for your interest in employment with us. We look forward to seeing you in one of our testing processes to get you on your way to a new career!
Duties and Requirements
The EWU Campus Police Officer will patrol the buildings and grounds of Eastern Washington University.
In the performance of their duties they shall:
- Give special attention to areas of high crime incidents.
- Conduct criminal investigations, and prepare reports of all investigations.
- Make arrests and process individuals; testify in court and/or at University hearings.
- Notify superiors of major crimes and other notable incidents.
- Give directions and general information to guests and visitors.
- Respond to emergency calls such as fires and personal injuries.
- Assist in the training and mentoring of new officers.
- Inspect and maintain assigned equipment including firearms and clothing.
- Perform any other duties necessary to protect the lives, safety and property of the students, staff, faculty and guests of the University.
- Participate in public safety related events and conduct training seminars for students, faculty and staff as required.
- Attend all departmental in-service training and training seminars as required by the Chief of Police.
- Be ready, willing and able to work additional work details outside of the normal schedule should the need for additional manpower be necessary.
- Be subject to callback should an emergent event occur that effects the safety and well-being of the Eastern Washington University community.