We are committed to continuously working in partnership with our diverse campus community so together we may foster trust, reduce incidents of crime and promote safety through education and enforcement.
Treat all people fairly and with respect. Foster a mutually-beneficial relationship with the public. Provide fair, impartial and professional community-based policing by exemplifying the highest standard of conduct.
To serve the university community, by protecting life and property. To ensure all persons are treated fairly with respect, while preserving State and Federal laws. To encourage unity and the appreciation of cultural and racial diversity for all members of the university community.
The Eastern Washington University Police Department is a professional law enforcement organization dedicated to providing unparalleled service to its diverse campus community. A career with the Eastern Washington University Police Department offers many rewards: competitive salaries and excellent benefits; opportunities to make significant positive impact on people in your community; an amazing variety of work and challenges; satisfaction with a challenging public service career; and pride in being a member of one of the best campus law enforcement agencies in the country.
Eastern Washington University, and its Police Department, encourages you to pursue the exciting field of law enforcement as a part of our dynamic team. This is an exciting time to become an Eastern Washington University Police Officer as the Department develops ever more powerful bonds with the campus community we serve. You can dedicate your career to that goal.
We are searching for gifted individuals of unquestionable integrity who can demonstrate sound judgment and decision-making skills under all conditions. We seek leaders who possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, and the strength of character to show compassion and charity in the face of adversity. We will demand your commitment to public service and dedication to the betterment of our campus community!
Interested individuals can check for position openings and apply for jobs at the HR EWU Employment Opportunities page. Questions can be directed to any university police officer.
Duties and Requirements
The EWU Campus Police Officer will patrol the buildings and grounds of Eastern Washington University.
In the performance of their duties they shall:
- Give special attention to areas of high crime incidents.
- Conduct criminal investigations, and prepare reports of all investigations.
- Make arrests and process individuals; testify in court and/or at University hearings.
- Notify superiors of major crimes and other notable incidents.
- Give directions and general information to guests and visitors.
- Respond to emergency calls such as fires and personal injuries.
- Assist in the training and mentoring of new officers.
- Inspect and maintain assigned equipment including firearms and clothing.
- Perform any other duties necessary to protect the lives, safety and property of the students, staff, faculty and guests of the University.
- Participate in public safety related events and conduct training seminars for students, faculty and staff as required.
- Attend all departmental in-service training and training seminars as required by the Chief of Police.
- Be ready, willing and able to work additional work details outside of the normal schedule should the need for additional manpower be necessary.
- Be subject to callback should an emergent event occur that effects the safety and well-being of the Eastern Washington University community.