Requesting a Copy of a Police Report
Frequently Asked Questions
Are all University records open to the public? Are my record requests confidential? Where can I view the Daily Crime and Fire Log? What if I still have questions?
Are all University records open to the public?
- Under the Public Records Act (PRA), public records are defined as: information, regardless of physical form or characteristics that have been created or received by the EWUPD. This can include emails, paper documents, reports, forms, recordings, etc.
- However, certain information may be withheld or exempted under RCW 42.56.230 & RCW 42.56.240.
- Examples of redactions:
- Social security numbers
- Driver’s license numbers
- Student education records as provided under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Examples of exemptions:
- Records pertaining to an active investigation
- Intelligence information
- Requested nondisclosure
- Identity of witnesses/victims/complainants if it would endanger them
Are my record requests confidential?
Where can I view the Daily Crime and Fire Log?
What if I still have questions?