We understand there are obstacles to employment and getting valuable experience as an international student studying in the U.S. We have collected a list of resources that will help you understand your employment rights and help you with your job and internship search. While this is not a complete list, it may give you some ideas to get started with. If you would like further assistance, please make an appointment with a career advisor.
Know Your Employment Rights
- U.S. Immigration Services - Students and Employment
- Study in the States DHS - F/M Student Employment
- Study in the States - Volunteering In the United States
- The U.S. Department of Labor - Guidelines for Unpaid Internships
- Equal Opportunity Commission
If you are finding that you lack experience for the opportunities you are interested in, consider building experience in different ways. The following page has some ideas.
What you can legally engage in, in the U.S., will depend on your visa and work authorization. If you have F-1 or J-1 status, any off-campus employment must be authorized or you risk violation of your visa requirements. Work with a career advisor and the EWU School of Global Learning to discuss possible options for your unique situation.
Job & Internship Search Resources
- Internationalstudent.com - Job Search
- EWU Student Employment - Info for International Students seeking on-campus jobs
- CareerForum - English-Japanese bilingual career forums
- US Department of Labor Office of Foreign Labor Certification - The reports include employers in the U.S. that sponsored visas that year.
- OPTNation.com - Top Companies that Hire International Students and Sponsor H1B
Internships, Fellowships, and Career Related Scholarships
Here are some, but not all, opportunities available for International Students. If you have OPT or CPT, work with the EWU School of Global Learning to make sure opportunities you are thinking of applying for won't negatively effect your OPT or CPT.
- Amelia Earhart Fellowships (Zonta International Foundation) - The US $10,000 Fellowship is awarded annually to up to 35 women pursuing Ph.D./doctoral degrees in aerospace engineering and space sciences.
- American Association for University Women - International Fellowships and Grants
- Goldman Sachs Internships
- Microsoft Internships and Scholarship Programs - Eligibility for International Students depends on the opportunity.
- NASA Intern and Fellow Opportunities for International Students
- Smithsonian Fellowships
Educational Articles and Resources
Other On-Campus Resources
- Eagle Career Network
- EWU School of Global Learning
- EWU Student Employment
- EWU Multicultural Center
- EWU Student Activities, Involvement, & Leadership
- EWU Counseling & Psychological Services