Something that many people do not realize is that joining ROTC does not mean that you are locked into Active Duty after graduating from college. In fact Cadets can take a scholarship that locks them into the Army Reserves or National Guard after graduation. The scholarship is called a Minuteman Scholarship. Anyone qualified to receive an ROTC scholarship can apply for a Minuteman Scholarship. 2, 3, and 4 year Minuteman Scholarships are available to qualified Cadets.
Requirements for a Minuteman Scholarship
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Between ages of 17-30*
- Valid Chapter 2 MEPS physical
- Currently in the Army Reserve or eligible for enlistment
- Ability to pass Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT)
- Meet Army Physical standards (AR600-9)
- Receive Mission Subordinate Command (MSC) Commander, Army Reserve Ambassador (ARA),or Civilian Aides to the Secretary of the Army (CASA) nomination
- Acceptance letter to a college or university with a ROTC program
- Professor of Military Science (PMS) interview
- Proof of academic major
- 1000 ACT or 19 SAT scores, 2.5 GPA
- Participate in Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) in which they participate in an Army Reserve unit’s monthly and annual drills
- Once commissioned… 8-year service obligation
- Must not have turned age 31 by Dec. 31st of commissioning year
Recipients of a Minuteman Scholarship have the option of having a full tuition paid or receive $10,000 annually in room or board money. At Eastern Washington University the majority of our Cadets take the $10,000 room and board option since tuition each year is roughly $7,800. The Cadets use the $10,000 to then pay their tuition and use the rest to help pay for housing. Besides the scholarship money, Minuteman Scholarship recipients also receive $1,200 annually for books and a $420 a month stipend while enrolled in school.
After graduation from Eastern Cadets will commission into the officer rank of Second Lieutenant in one of 11 career fields.
U.S. Army Reserves Career Fields
- Adjutant General
- Logistics (Ordnance, Quartermaster and Transportation)
- Medical Service
- Military Intelligence
- Military Police
For Cadets that commission into the National Guard there are even more career fields to branch into. A Minuteman Scholarship provides an excellent way for students to pay for college and still provide an opportunity to pursue a civilian career after graduation. For anyone interested in learning more about the Minuteman Scholarship please contact us at email@example.com or call 509-359-6104 for more information.