ROTC Minuteman Scholarships Guarantee Cadets Duty in the U.S. Army Reserves or National Guard

Minuteman Scholarships

Something that many people do not realize is that joining ROTC does not mean that you are locked into Active Duty after graduating from college.  In fact Cadets can take a scholarship that locks them into the Army Reserves or National Guard after graduation.  The scholarship is called a Minuteman Scholarship.  Anyone qualified to receive an ROTC scholarship can apply for a Minuteman Scholarship.  2, 3, and 4 year Minuteman Scholarships are available to qualified Cadets.

Requirements for a Minuteman Scholarship

  • Be a U.S. citizen
  • Between ages of 17-30*
  • Valid Chapter 2 MEPS physical
  • Currently in the Army Reserve or eligible for enlistment
  • Ability to pass Army Physical Fitness Test (APFT)
  • Meet Army Physical standards (AR600-9)
  • Receive Mission Subordinate Command (MSC) Commander, Army Reserve Ambassador (ARA),or Civilian Aides to the Secretary of the Army (CASA) nomination
  • Acceptance letter to a college or university with a ROTC program
  • Professor of Military Science (PMS) interview
  • Proof of academic major
  • 1000 SAT or 19 ACT scores, 2.5 GPA
  • Participate in Simultaneous Membership Program (SMP) in which they participate in an Army Reserve unit's monthly and annual drills
  • Once commissioned... 8-year service obligation
  • Must not have turned age 31 by Dec. 31st of commissioning year

That may seem like a lot, but we will help you through the entire process! Recipients of a Minuteman Scholarship have the option of using the scholarship to pay for tuition or receive $10,000 annually for room and board expenses.  At Eastern Washington University the majority of our Cadets take the $10,000 room and board option since tuition each year is roughly $8,200. Cadets that choose the Minuteman Scholarship and join the Washington Army National Guard receive access to additional grants and federal tuition assistance up to $4,600, allowing them to pay for tuition and use the full $10,000 and other SMP benefits listed above. With tuition paid for through grants and tuition assistance, here's an example chart of Minuteman Scholarship benefits:

After graduation from Eastern Cadets will commission into the officer rank of Second Lieutenant in the Washington Army National Guard or U.S. Army Reserves.  Call 509-359-6110 our Enrollment Officer for more information.


Cadet Patrick Coleman (far left in uniform) is contracted into ROTC as a Minuteman Scholarship recipient by the Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army, Brigadier General (Retired) Neal Sealock at halftime of a Nov. 3, 2019 EWU football game. Patrick Coleman successfully graduated from EWU in 2022 and is serving part-time as an officer in the Adjutant General Corps.


14 thoughts on “ROTC Minuteman Scholarships Guarantee Cadets Duty in the U.S. Army Reserves or National Guard”

  1. Been awarded a four year minuteman scholarship at Purdue University as a freshman but still haven’t been paid anything even though I’ve met all the requirements. Why not?
    When should I expect to receive any funds since I’ve been paying for everything during this freshman year.

    • You will need to discuss this with your PMS, but a common reason I have seen for why scholarship benefits are delayed is because Cadets have not completed their medical appointments to become medically qualified to start the scholarship. Set up a meeting with your PMS and they will be able to tell you exactly why your benefits have not been started.

  2. Have contacted with my PMS and have been told I’ve met all the medical and physical requirements and told it’s in the hands of administration for processing.
    In May my first year at Purdue University is completed and still have not received any funds for tuition, books or my stipend.
    Do I need to elevate this to my state Senator for intervention?

    Thanking you in advance for your assistance.

    • If you meet all your contracting requirements it sounds like your scholarship benefits are being held up by the implementation of the new ArmyIgnited system.

      There has been multiple problems with this new system and Cadet Command recently issued new guidance yesterday on how Cadets can request their scholarship money. Your Cadre should have received this same guidance and can assist you.

  3. Are minuteman scholarship recipients able to go active duty after graduation? Or are we strictly locked into the reserves for the 8 years. If so, what steps would we be able to take in order to go active once graduating?

    • If you take a Minuteman Scholarship yes you are locked into the Guard or Reserves after graduation. The Guard or Reserves are paying for the scholarship and thus in return expect the officer to serve for them. In the Guard and Reserves there are active slots you can compete for, but they are very limited.

      • I do have a question My Daughter received a three year ROTC scholarship. She will graduate in May of 2024. She is about to partake in the SMP program with the Guard as that is how she would like to serve. My question is she able to apply for the minuet man scholarship for grad school?

        • Hi Martine,

          Given the fact that your daughter already received a 3-year scholarship once contracted she would graduate and commission. She would not as an Officer be eligible for the Minuteman scholarship however, if she is studying for a Health Profession she can apply for the Health Professional Scholarship Program to possibly assist with graduate school. Feel free to contact me at for additional questions and information.

          Thank you,

    • I am sorry for the delayed reply. Students on a Minuteman scholarship cannot compete for Active Duty to commission. They can potentially put in a packet once at their Unit however, it is based off needs of the Army, that unit, and a selection process.

  4. I am graduating BOLC soon and signed my minute man scholarship to be in the reserves . Can I switch to national gaurd during my contract or would I have to wait until it is over ?

    • Damon – If you’re already in BOLC, you’ll return to the U.S. Army Reserve unit that sent you to BOLC and you’ll serve out your obligation for the time being. Discuss a transfer with your USAR unit and the Officer Strength Manager (OSM) of the state’s National Guard you are interested in. They’ll give you directions on how/when a transfer could work.

  5. I’ve been awarded the minute man scholarship and everything is wonderfully. I love it so much and I’m hoping after graduation I can enlist and make the Army my career. Is this a possibility or am I stuck in the reserves.

    • If you contract with ROTC and it includes a Minute Man Scholarship, then you will have to commission into the USAR or National Guard. You would need to pursue a “line scholarship” if you want to keep your active-duty option open.


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.