The EWU Career Center supports students and alumni with both visible and non-visible disabilities throughout your career development process. We have complied a list of resources to help you, and although not exhaustive, it will provide you with a lot of good information to get you started. We understand that career planning, professional development and job search can feel a little daunting to any student. To that end, we highly encourage you to make an appointment with a career advisor who can further assist you with career planning questions.
Know Your Employment Rights
- Equal Opportunity Commission - Americans with Disabilities Act
- Disclosing a Disability
- Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 Titles I and V
There are many ways to gain experience. Work with a career advisor to discuss possible options for your unique situation.
- Community organizing
- Academic projects
- Job Shadowing
- Full and part-time jobs
- On-campus jobs
- Leadership roles in student groups
- Study abroad
- Freelancing/Contract work
- Military experience
Job & Internship Search Resources
- AbilityJOBS - 100% of posted jobs are from employers specifically seeking to hire people with disabilities.
- Our Ability - Our Ability, Inc. and Microsoft Corporation have partnered to use AI technology to create accessible and inclusive technology for the employment of people with disabilities.
- Getting Hired - Job search engine for people with disabilities.
- Lime Connect - Connects high potential university students and professionals, including veterans, with disabilities for scholarships, internships, The Lime Connect Fellowship Program, and full time careers with the world's leading corporations.
- Federal Government Employment for People with Disabilities
- Workforce Recruitment Program - Connects federal and private-sector employers nationwide with highly motivated college students and recent graduates with disabilities.
- Bender Consulting - Bender hosts virtual career fairs for people with disabilities and other employment resources.
- disABLEd Person, Inc. - Job search engine for people with disabilities.
- AAPD Career Center - Job search engine for people with disabilities.
- AbilityLinks - Job search engine for people with disabilities.
- Freelance websites - There are many people and organizations looking for employees that work on freelance/contract basis, work remotely (work from home), and who need flexible hours.
Here are some, but not all, opportunities available for students with disabilities.
- AAPD Summer Internship Program
- RespectAbility – The National Leadership Program
- American Association for Advancement of the Sciences Entry Point
- Lime Connect Fellowship Program
- Five Tips for Job Hunting with a Disability
- Getting Hired with a Disability
- Should You Disclose Your Disability During a Job Search?
- Handling your Psychiatric Disability in Work or School
- MyPlus Students’ Club - eBooks
- Job Accommodation Network
- Office of Disability Employment Policy (ODEP)
- American Association of People with Disabilities
- National Organization on Disability
- National Center for College Students with Disabilities
- DREAM: Disability Rights, Education, Activism, and Mentoring
- Attention Deficit Disorder Association
- American Foundation for the Blind
- National Institute of Mental Health
Other On-Campus Resources