Student Testing with DSS
For the convenience of instructors, Disability Support Services offers test services to their students with disabilities, who are eligible for test modifications.
Disability Services recommends that instructors log into MyDSS for verification of the right to reasonable modifications before they agree to provide test modifications. Disability Support Services provides MyDSS access to faculty for this purpose.
Testing facilities in Disability Services-
Hours of Operations for Testing Center: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday. If exams are scheduled outside of our testing hours, students with disabilities need contact the instructor to discuss alternative arrangements. If students need to test at the EWU Spokane campus/Catalyst Building, the student will need to meet with their professor to determine department availability.
Security: Disability Support Services understands the academic rigors and safety measure that instructors undertake in administrating their exams. We take test security very seriously. We have a monitored testing room, along with a computer-monitoring program.
Testing Rooms: We have limited testing space. Our office has a total of 7 testing stations, at times when we are overloaded with requests, we may utilize other locations within the office for students to test. By announcing your exams in class as early as possible, it allows students to schedule with our office. Our office is on a first come first served basis, so scheduling early is important. Also, please note, during finals week we utilize block scheduling as described above.
Academic Dishonesty: Any student observed using any unauthorized materials or resource during an exam will be reported to the instructor. Disability Services has the right to stop an exam at any time if academic dishonesty is witnessed. Academic misconduct is subject to an academic penalty by the instructor and/or a disciplinary sanction by Eastern Washington University by the Student Conduct Code.
1. Meet with the student to determine alternative testing options (department office vs. DSS testing center).
2. Fill out the DSS Exam Proctor Agreement. Please clearly indicate any instructions pertaining to the exam.
3. Upload a copy of the exam via our secure system (MyDSS).
1. Students are responsible for contacting instructors at the beginning of the quarter to identify self and discuss arrangements for special testing needs. Because of limited space in the DSS office, if it is possible to make arrangements within the department to take a test and the student does not have the specific request to test at the DSS testing center, please make those arrangements. If that is not possible, have the student contact DSS at least 72 hours in advance.
2. Students are expected to check with the DSS Office early in the quarter if testing accommodations need to be arranged within the DSS Office.
3. Testing room availability is on a first come, first serve basis. Make sure to schedule the exam as soon as the test date is known, at least 72 hours in advance.
4. Have their professors complete the DSS Exam Proctor Agreement. Confirm with the professor the date and time. Testing hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, schedule accordingly.
6. Please have student ID with you for your testing appointment.
7. Students must report to the DSS Office on time for scheduled tests. As in the classroom situation, alternative testing arrangements are scheduled to end at a specific time and test times will not be extended when students report late. The DSS reserves the right to return examinations to the professor if a student is more than 15 minutes late (and has not notified the DSS of the delay).
8. Students must leave all personal items outside the testing room. Only items authorized by the professor will be allowed on the testing site. (This means no phones, headphones, etc.)
1. The DSS will facilitate the accommodations needed to meet each student's need.
2. The DSS is responsible for protecting the integrity of the examination process.
3· Follow the professor's requests, exactly as instructed
4· Make sure students don't have any extra items in the testing room
5· Record start and end time of the exam
6· Provide a quiet and respectful place to take the exam, with minimal distractions
7. Return exam to the professors unless other arrangements have been made