What is Motivation?
Motivation is defined as the direction and intensity of ones efforts. In general, there are two types of motivation: intrinsic and extrinsic motivation.
- Intrinsic Motivation- engaging in an activity for it’s own sake, particularly for the pleasure and satisfaction. In school, this may mean an individual has a genuine desire for learning, or engaging in an intellectual challenge.
- Extrinsic Motivation- engaging in behaviors in order to attain contingent outcomes beyond the activity itself. In school, this could look like the desire for a certain income, or pressure from outside sources, like parents.
How Can Motivation Help?
- Direct behaviors towards a particular goal
- Leads to increased effort
- Increases persistence
- Affects cognitive processes
- Determines reinforcing or punishing consequences
- Enhances academic performance (Weinberg & Gould, 2011)
General Motivation Tips
- Set SMART goals
- Find a social support network
- Acknowledge your accomplishments
- Use the power of positive thinking and believe in yourself
- Establish a routine
Articles on Motivation