General Time Management Tips
- You must manage your time, from the “get-go.” A personal planner is essential.
- Determine how many hours you will study, per class and per week.
- Start your homework early – don’t wait until the last minute.
- Prioritize tasks by importance – design a “to-do” list to help place items in order of importance.
- Combine several activities into one time slot – If you commute to school, try reviewing notes on the way.
- Catch yourself when you are involved in unproductive projects and stop as soon as you can.
- Get enough sleep (~8.0 hrs w/in 24 hr period). Otherwise your performance degrades quickly.
- Adapted from
- George Mason University
- Managing Your Time by Dartmouth College
- Tips for Academic Success by University of Colorado Boulder
Here are some other tips to help manage your time more efficiently:
- Use a term calendar- write in all exams, academic events, deadlines, and important personal events. To do this, create a schedule using a long term planner.
- Create a weekly schedule. A weekly template and a task priority list are helpful in scheduling weekly tasks.
- Use daily to-do lists.
- Tips for Creating a Master Schedule – Dartmouth College
- Time Tips – Dartmouth College
- How well do YOU plan? Find out here! – Dartmouth College
Time Management Clips
College Students discussing Time Management Strategies
Dartmouth’s Academic Success Center clip teaches on critical time management skills