Full-time employees accrue 14.67 hours of vacation leave per month for each month of work. Part-time Employees with an appointment of at least 50% time will accrue vacation at a prorated rate. Vacation leave shall not accrue during leave without pay that exceeds 10 working days in any calendar month.
Cash Payment for Vacation:
Except as provided below, upon separation of employment, employees will receive cash at their then-current rate of pay for accrued but unused vacation; provided that the total vacation leave used during the fiscal year and any amount cashed out may not exceed 480 hours in a fiscal year.
If the Employee separates to accept other state employment where vacation leave is accrued, vacation leave will be transferred as authorized by law to the extent accepted by the Employee’s new employer. If the employee has a vacation leave balance that exceeds the maximum amount of vacation leave the new employer will accept in transfer, EWU will cash out the vacation hours in excess of what the agency will accept; provided that the combination of leave taken during the fiscal year, leave transferred to the new agency, and any leave for which a cash payment is made cannot exceed 480 hours.
Use of Leave:
Use of vacation leave must be requested and approved in advance by the Employee’s supervisor, and any such approval shall consider the need to ensure adequate fulfillment of the Employee’s job responsibilities. Employees wishing to use vacation leave for a substantial period are encouraged to request leave with as much prior notice as possible. Employees are not permitted to use more than 480 hours of vacation leave in a fiscal year.
Sick Leave Accrual:
Full-time PSE Employees will accrue sick leave at the rate of 10 hours for each calendar month during their first two (2) years of service, and 12 hours for each completed calendar month of service thereafter. Employees hired into a bargaining unit position from another exempt University position shall be credited with service in their previous exempt position when determining their accrual rate. Part-time employees shall accrue sick leave on a pro-rated basis according to the percentage their monthly schedule bears to full-time employment. Employees who are in unpaid status for more than 10 working days in a month will not accrue sick leave during that month. Employees may accrue an unlimited amount of sick leave.
Exempt staff covered under the PSE collective bargaining agreement may use paid sick leave up to the amount accrued under the following conditions:
- The Employee’s own illness, injury or disability (including disability due to pregnancy or childbirth);
- A period of quarantine following the exposure to a contagious disease during the period when attendance on duty would jeopardize the health of others;
- The need to care for a dependent child (as defined in WAC 296-130-020) under 18 years of age, or an older child incapable of self-care, with a health condition requiring treatment or supervision;
- The need to care for an employee’s spouse, registered domestic partner, parent, parent-in-law or grandparent with a serious health condition or emergency condition;
- Medical, dental or optical appointments for the Employee or other family member (as described above) where the Employee’s presence is required, if arranged in advance with the Employee’s supervisor whenever possible;
- Bereavement leave beyond the 3 days of paid bereavement leave, if such use is approved in advance by the employee’s supervisor;
- Other circumstances if authorized by the Chief Human Resources Officer or designee
Use of Leave:
Employees must notify their supervisor as soon as possible when they will be absent due to illness or injury.