- Faculty may take up to two (2) weeks of fully paid sick leave for absences due to illness, injury or temporary disability every academic year.
- Quarterly faculty shall be entitled to up to two (2) workweeks of paid sick leave during the term of their contract.
- College of Heath Sciences and Public Health (CHSPH): for “quarterly faculty” with a semester appointment, the sick leave entitlement will be up to three (3) weeks per semester.
Sick leave may be used during the period of a faculty member’s appointment for reasons allowed under the Minimum Wage Requirements and Labor Standards, RCW 49.46.210, and for absences qualifying for leave under the Family Care Act, WAC 596-310. This includes providing care for a family member with a mental or physical illness, injury or health condition, care of a family member who needs medical diagnosis, care or treatment of a mental or physical illness, injury or health condition, care for a family member who needs preventative medical care or medical, dental or optical appointments. For purposes of this Article, the definition of a family member is defined as follows:
- A child, including a biological, adopted, or foster child, stepchild or a child to whom the employee stands in loco parentis, is a legal guardian or is a de facto parent, regardless of age or dependency status;
- A biological, adoptive, de facto, or foster parent, stepparent, or legal guardian of an employee or the employee’s spouse or registered domestic partner, or a person who stood in loco parentis when the employee was a minor child;
- A spouse;
- A registered domestic partner;
- A grandparent;
- A grandchild; or
- A sibling
Absences of longer than two (2) weeks caused by a condition described above will be considered short term disability leave (STD). Short term disability leave is fully paid and benefitted leave.
- Lecturers, library associates and faculty in residence will be entitled to paid short term disability leave during the term of their contract up to a maximum of the number of weeks noted in the table below:
Years Completed at EWU
Weeks of Paid Disability Leave
- Assistant professors, senior lecturers, senior library associates and probationary faculty shall be entitled up to 12 workweeks of short-term disability during an academic year.
- Tenured faculty (Associate and Professor) shall be entitled to up to 15 workweeks of paid short term disability leave during an academic year.
- Librarians: full time library faculty earn annual leave at the rate of two (2) days per month. Library faculty with an appointment that is less than full time accrue leave on a prorated basis that reflects the percentage their appointment bears to a full-time faculty librarian.
Full-time, twelve-month library faculty receive the 11 University holidays per year, plus a personal holiday. Library faculty who work less than 12 months receive only the University holidays that fall within the months they work and are not entitled to a personal holiday.
Tenured, tenure track and special faculty with multi-year contracts will be entitled to take up to six (6) consecutive weeks of paid leave to care for a newborn child, new adopted child or a child new placed into foster care. For birth giving parents parental leave will begin with the birth of the child and will run concurrently with available sick leave, short term disability leave and/or FMLA. Parental leave used by a parent who is not the birth mother must be used within 12 months of the birth or placement of the child.
Paid professional leave shall be granted by the Board of Trustees for the purpose of providing opportunities for study, research and creative activities for the enhancement of the University’s instructional and research programs. For more details regarding Paid Professional Leave please reference the UFE contract at: https://inside.ewu.edu/hr/unions-and-contracts/.