Exempt employees who are in a full-time regular appointment time earn 14.67 hours of vacation leave each month that they are eligible. Exempt staff who work at least 50% time, but less than full time, will accrue vacation at a prorated rate. Vacation leave will not accrue during leave without pay that exceeds 10 working days in any calendar month. Vacation time is earned monthly and may not be taken before it is earned. Exempt employees may use their vacation leave immediately upon accrual. All leave must be approved by employee’s supervisor in advance of use.
Employees who transfer from another state agency without a break in service may also transfer up to 240 hours of vacation leave for immediate use at EWU. Upon termination of employment exempt employees will have their vacation cashed out up to a maximum of 480 hours.
Accrued, unused leave time may continue to accumulate but the total paid leave time in any fiscal year shall not exceed 480 hours. Exempt staff who work at least 50% time, but less than full time, will be cashed out at a prorated rate.
Use of Leave:
Exempt staff are urged to plan vacation periods of substantial duration as part of their vacation leave each year. Arrangements for the use of vacation leave must be made in advance with the employee’s supervisor and shall consider the adequate fulfillment of specified job responsibilities. Exempt staff cannot use more than 480 hours of vacation leave in a fiscal year.
Full-time exempt employees shall accrue sick leave as follows:
- Employees with less than two years of continuous exempt service in their current term shall accrue 10 hours of sick leave credit per complete month.
- Employees with 2 or more years of continuous exempt service in their current term shall accrue 12 hours of sick leave per complete month.
Exempt staff may use paid sick leave up to the amount accrued under the following conditions:
- Physical illness, injury, or health condition; to accommodate the employee’s need for medical diagnosis, care, or treatment of a mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition; or an employee’s need for preventive medical care;
- When the University has been closed by order of a public official for any health-related reason, or when an employee’s child’s school or place of care has been closed for such a reason;
- To allow the employee to provide care for a family member with a mental or physical illness, injury, or health condition; care of a family member who needs medical diagnosis, care, or treatment of a condition; or care for a family member who needs preventive medical care. “Family member” means any of the following:
- A child, including a biological, adopted, or foster child, stepchild, or a child to whom the employee stands in loco parentis, is a legal guardian, or is a de facto parent, regardless of age or dependency status;
- A biological, adoptive, de factor, or foster parent, stepparent, or legal guardian of an employee or the employee’s spouse or registered domestic partner, or a person who stood in loco parentis when the employee was a minor child;
- A spouse;
- A registered domestic partner;
- A grandparent;
- A grandchild;
- A sibling
- Domestic violence leave as provided for in EWU Policy 403-05 (Employee Leave Related to Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault & Stalking);
- Bereavement leave beyond the three days of paid bereavement leave, if such use is approved in advance by the employee’s supervisor
If an employee takes 10 or more working days of leave without pay in any calendar month, the employee shall not be entitled to any sick leave credit for that month but shall accrue a prorated amount of sick leave based upon the percentage of time worked.
Sick Leave approval:
Sick leave must be reported to and approved by employee’s supervisor or designee.
Classified and Exempt employees receive one personal holiday each calendar year. The personal holiday may be used immediately upon hire but must be scheduled at the convenience of the employing department. The personal holiday is to be used on or before December 31 of each calendar year or the day will be forfeited.