Biofeedback is a type of therapy that helps students learn how to practice self-regulation. An example of self-regulation is learning how to calm yourself when you're feeling upset.
There are many types of biofeedback therapies. CAPS uses heart rate regulation biofeedback. It's a clear and direct type of biofeedback therapy most students find easy to practice.
Why biofeedback may appeal to some students:
- Students can practice at home without needing to make further appointments once they've received biofeedback training from a counselor.
- Some students may want to try biofeedback therapy before trying prescription medications, or in conjunction with their medications. Please always follow the advice of your primary care provider.
- It helps students feel more in control of their treatment and of their bodies. Students who like to be active participants in their therapy could find biofeedback very appealing.
Cautions and contraindications
Those with a medical or mental health condition should check with their physician or mental health professional to determine the suitability of the program, prior to its use. The following conditions, in particular, are cautioned:
- acute, severe or unstable medical illness
- disorders that involve severe, unstable autonomous nervous system, endocrine, or metabolic functions (e.g., diabetes)
- neurological conditions (e.g., seizures) and/or severe impairments of memory or attention
- irregularities of heart rhythm (e.g., atrial fibrillation, flutter, or intense clusters of premature atrial contractions)
- significant psychological disorders (e.g., schizophrenia, mania, major depression, paranoia, severe OCD, PTSD, or dissociation)
More Information About Biofeedback Programs Used
EmWave© Biofeedback System: portable device used by CAPS for biofeedback. For more information, please go to: https://www.heartmath.com/
Interested in learning more? (options below are currently unavailable until further notice.)
Call CAPS at (509) 359-2366 or stop by Martin Hall, room 225. You can access our biofeedback services in one of two ways. You can either schedule an appointment with one of our counselors for a demonstration and personal coaching session or you can attend an orientation session on biofeedback, held once each quarter. When you are familiar and comfortable using the biofeedback equipment on your own, you can start using it in our "Chill Room" during CAPS office hours (8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday).