Eastern Washington University students are encouraged to get engaged in their community. Whether you are looking for a service-learning placement, large group service projects, or just want to volunteer in your community the Office of Community Engagement wants to help you “Start Something Big!”
We assist students by:
- Helping to identify opportunities that fit your interests, schedule, or service-learning project goals.
- Providing consultation and training to students planning large group service projects.
- Connecting you with other students interested in service and community engagement.
- Enroll in a Service-Learning Course. Service-learning courses provide EWU students an opportunity to apply course content to real world settings by providing meaningful service to a community organization.
- Volunteer regularly at a local non-profit. Local non-profits throughout our region are looking for college student volunteers. Consider mentoring a local youth, serving dinner at a community meal site, teaching a knitting class at a drop-in center, playing board games with seniors at an assisted living facility or much more.
- Join the Eagle Volunteers Leadership Team! The applications go live every April for the team that will serve for the upcoming academic year.
- Plan a large group service project for your club or organization. Local non-profits are often in need of student groups to assist with annual fundraising events, plan food and clothing drives, or help with much-needed facilities projects like painting or assisting with renovations.
- Participate in a community-based internship. EWU’s Career Services office can support you in finding internships at local non-profits or governmental agencies. Internships allow you the opportunity to learn more about the field and gain important professional skills.
Looking to get involved? Check out the opportunities below!
Current Community Needs
|Community Partner||Community Need||Contact||Agency Address/Neighborhood||Days for Donation Drop-off/ Service Project||Additional Info|
|Food For All||Gardening Service Opportunities||Volunteer Coord.: Jessie 509-459-6163 or email@example.com||1635 W 26th Ave, Vinegar Flats/ Latah Valley||Contact Volunteer Coordinator|
|Crosswalk Teen Shelter||Socks, undergarments for girls and boys, feminine hygiene products, disposable razors, body wash, hair products, backpacks, lightly used clothes, bus passes, & gift firstname.lastname@example.org||525 W 2nd Ave, Downtown Spokane||Contact for Details: Phone (509) 838-6596 or email.|
|Hearth Homes||Child Care service email@example.com||11214 E Broadway Ave, Dishman||Contact Volunteer Coordinator|
|Hearth Homes||Cleaning/Household supplies needed: Clorox wipes, window cleaner, all-purpose cleaner, bleach,paper towels, toilet paper, dish sponges, and dish firstname.lastname@example.org||11214 E Broadway Ave, Dishman||Contact for Details: Phone (509) 926-6492, or email.|
|Mission Community Outreach||Service Opportunities to help sort donations email@example.com||1906 East Mission Ave., Logan||Contact for Details: Phone (509) 536-1084 or email.|
|MLK Family Outreach Center||Spring Cleaning service firstname.lastname@example.org||845 South Sherman St., South Hill||Contact for Details: Phone (509) 455-8722 or email.||Indoor and outdoor service opps. available.|
|Northeast Youth Center||Arts, crafts, & office supplies email@example.com||3004 E Queen Ave., Hillyard||Contact for Details: Phone (509) 482-0708 or email.|
|Northwest Harvest||Sort & Pack Clothing service opportunities ||firstname.lastname@example.org||3808 N Sullivan Rd, 15-K; Velox (Industrial park in b/w Millwood & Otis Orchards)||Contact for Details: Phone (509) 891-7012 or email.|
|S.C.R.A.P.S.||Needs: Non-clumping cat litter, Kitty Meal Replacement. ||email@example.com||6815 E Trent Ave, Spokane Valley||Contact for Details: Phone (509) 482-0708 or email.|
|Second Harvest||Produce Sorting service firstname.lastname@example.org||1234 E Front Ave, East Central||Visit their website.||All volunteers must sign up to volunteer on their website.|
|St. Anne's Children and Family Center||Service Opportunities: Building and Ground Maintenance, and an upcoming Cleaning Eventemail@example.com||25 W. 5th Avenue, Cliff/Cannon (Hospital area)||Contact for Details.|
Cleaning Event is Feb. 12, 8:00am-3:00pm
|Must register by Feb. 8th, 14 volunteers needed for cleaning event.|
|St. Margaret's Shelter||Needs: Towels, canned food, socks, pots and firstname.lastname@example.org||101 E Hartson Ave., Cliff/Cannon (Hospital area)||Contact for Details: Phone (509) 358-4250 or email.|
|Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery ||Needs: Gerber Good Start Formula, Girls & Boys winter clothes 6T-8T, Size 1&2 Diapers, Meats (ham, chicken, beef, turkey, deli meats), canned beans, Unscented laundry email@example.com||1004 E 8th Ave., Cliff/Cannon (Hospital area)||Contact for Details: Phone (509) 535-3155 or email.|
|Women & Children's Free Restaurant||Service Opportunities: Dinner Setfirstname.lastname@example.org||1408 North Washington St., Emerson Garfield||Contact for Details: Phone (509) 324-1995 or email.||T&W 2:30-6:30pm, F 11am-2pm. Students must fill out an application online; Organization cannot accept large groups of volunteers.|