In 2015, in response to years of student feedback, ASEWU student government and EWU leaders approved a plan to redesign the Pence Union Building to make it more usable and responsive to the needs of today's students.
Financed through student fees, the PUB redesign is an approximately $40M project. It uses the existing footprint of the building (~120,000 square feet), focusing the renovation on the areas of highest need and maximum student benefit.
Following a successful pre-design, construction started in Fall 2016. The project is scheduled to be completed in Fall 2018 at which point there will be a grand re-opening.
Key Project Goals
- To create an open and inviting student center that will define the sense of campus community and become a true hub for student life
- Develop a space that fosters student engagement, retention, and success
- Increase student lounge, study and collaboration space
- Increase and improve space for student leadership, clubs and organizations
- Increase and enhance space for large student events
- Increase and improve student dining space and options, including retail dining choices
- Transform the PUB into an environmentally-friendly building (with more daylight) and highly visible indoor/outdoor student activity
- Address deferred maintenance issues and safety needs