DEI Affinity Groups
Affinity groups bring together employees of similar identities, backgrounds, or interests. Affinity groups are found to help foster deeper connections in the workplace, boosting friendships, collaboration, and productivity.
Purpose and Commitment
An affinity group, also known as an employee resource group (ERG), brings together employees of shared interests. Affinity groups provide a supportive space to celebrate, educate, discuss, and process issues within specific communities. Affinity groups are found to help foster deeper connections in the workplace, boosting relationships, collaboration, and productivity.
In addition, offering affinity groups improves the recruitment and retention of employees, enhances onboarding efforts, and creates a more inclusive environment. Affinity Groups are primarily intended for faculty and staff.
DEI-endorsed Affinity Groups must align with EWU’s commitment to diversity on campus and must meet the following criteria:
- Affinity Group members have a shared interest in recruiting, promoting, and retaining historically underrepresented and/or marginalized populations; and,
- A shared commitment to personal learning and development to champion DEI efforts on campus.
Please note: Participating in DEI Affinity Groups on campus is completely voluntary and is considered to be personal time. Employees must work within the guidelines of their departments to request time off during work hours to participate.
The following employee affinity groups have been formed by EWU employees:
- LGBTQ+ Employee Affinity Group
- American Indian/Alaska Native/First Nations Learning Circle Affinity Group
The following employee affinity groups have been proposed and have yet to be formed by EWU employees:
- African American/ Black Employee Affinity Group
- Asian American/ Pacific Islander Employee Affinity Group
- Hispanic/ Chicanx/ Latinx Employee Affinity Group
- Partners in DEI Employee Affinity Group
Resources and Application
To apply for DEI Affinity Group Endorsement from the Office for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion,
please read through the DEI Affinity Group Guide before submitting your application.
Please note: We are in the process of regrouping with interested parties to share the process for establishing a DEI Affinity Group endorsed by the Office for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. If continued employee interest exists, we will post the scheduled meeting dates for employees to attend.
For questions or accommodations, please contact Kim Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or (509) 359-6874.