Public records for a state institution include any record containing information relating to the conduct of university business which is prepared, owned, used or retained by the university. Only existing documents are releasable. The university is responsible for the order and condition of existing records.
*NCAA FY22 Report is Now Available for Request
- Information is requested via the Public Records Request Form.
- Subpoenas and other official legal documents requesting public information are acceptable means as well.
- Complete Public Records Request Forms or other acceptable requests are submitted to the EWU Public Records Officer at the contact address provided.
- The Public Records Officer processes the request to the appropriate office.
- The appropriate office returns all information to the Public Records Officer.
- The Public Records Officer reviews documents for exemptions under RCW 42.56.
- Documents not under any exemptions are prepared for release to the requester.
- The Requester makes check payable to the EWU and submits it to the Public Records Officer.
- Documents are released to the requester.
- Copies of released information are kept in the Central File of Public Records
The university will acknowledge the request within five (5) business days. At that time the Public Records Officer will determine the time-frame for the release.
Students Right to Privacy
Students' Right to Privacy is protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
We do not charge copy fees less than $2.00. Some requests may require a 10 percent deposit, per RCW 42.56.120.
*Charges may be combined to the extent more than one type of charge applies to copies responsive to a particular request. Copy charges are assessed for each installment of records provided to the requester.
**Requestors may ask for an estimate of the cost before asking for records to be produced.
Additional information about the procedure and costs for requesting public records are available at https://inside.ewu.edu/policies/knowledge-base/wac-172-10-public-records-requests/
Payment may be made by cash, check, or money order to Eastern Washington University.
Some Exemptions listed in State Law RCW 42.56
Some records are exempt from the public disclosure law. Following are some examples:
- Personal Information, i.e., residential address or telephone number of any individual associated with the university who requests that the information be restricted. If an individual has released their personal information to the EWU Telephone Directory, they have given permission to have it released as public information.
- Social Security Numbers.
- Student Identification Numbers.
- Mailing lists of employees, volunteers and students to be used for commercial purposes.
- Health records.
- ADA disability records.
- All applications for public employment, including the names of applicants, resumes, and other related materials submitted with respect to an applicant.
- Test questions, scoring keys and other examination data used to administer any examination are exempt from disclosure.
Personal information regarding university students including examination results, grades, class schedules, and curricular material is protected information under the FERPA, Students Rights to Privacy Act.
- Data or maps which identify locations of archaeological sites may be exempt from public disclosure.
- Internal drafts, notes, and recommendations where opinions are expressed or policies are formulated or recommended may be exempt from disclosure until a decision has been made. When a decision has been made, they are public documents.