Administration – Financial Activities
|EWU Policy 202-14||Authority: EWU Board of Trustees|
|Effective: June 24, 2005||Proponent: Business & Finance|
History: This policy revises and supersedes the previous version dated March 23, 2012 and the interim policy dated October 19, 2015. It was adopted by the Board of Trustees on February 26, 2016.
Operating Budget Carryforward
At the end of each fiscal year, unexpended budget authority from tuition funds shall be carried forward into the new fiscal year according to this policy.
Prior to calculating the carryforward distribution, the following account balances shall be exempted from this process and carryforward funding in those areas shall roll forward in total.
- General University Cost accounts
- Faculty computer replacement account
- Enterprise system account
- Telephone maintenance account
- University reserve accounts
Carryforward funds not exempted under the previous section shall be calculated and distributed as follows:
- 15% of the carryforward balances shall go to the Academic Strategic Plan pool
- 25% of the remaining carryforward balances shall go to the central university reserve for emergency or university wide initiatives
- 75% of the remaining carryforward balances shall go to executive levels – President’s unit, Business and Finance, Student Affairs, University Advancement, and Academic Affairs
- 15% of the allocation to Academic Affairs shall be retained in the Provost reserve for Academic Affairs initiatives, with the remainder returning to each major budget units (colleges, library, etc.)
- In the event of a state imposed budget rescission, carryforward dollars will be used as first priority for meeting university obligations
Please review the PDF (link at top) for a diagram of the process.