Chapter 172-130 WAC – Undergraduate Housing Requirement

< Go Back
You are here:

PDF Version

Chapter 172-130 WAC

Last Update: 12/4/13


WAC Sections

172-130-010 Students required to reside in university residence halls.
172-130-020 Exceptions.
172-130-030 Process.

Students required to reside in university residence halls.

All full-time, single, first-year students of Eastern Washington University who are under twenty-one years of age are required to live in university residence hall facilities throughout their first year at the university.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.35.120(12). WSR 13-24-122, § 172-130-010, filed 12/4/13, effective 9/1/14.]


Students may request an exception to WAC 172-130-010. Requests must clearly describe the basis for the request and include supporting documentation as appropriate. The approval authority is the chief housing officer or designee. Exceptions will be considered for the following reasons:
(1) Students who will continuously reside with a parent and/or legal guardian throughout the quarter for which the exception is sought.
(2) Students who have primary legal custody of a child.
(3) Students employed off campus and whose housing is part of their overall compensation received. To qualify, employment must be for an established place of business or for an established family unit when a landlord/employer requires the student to reside where the work is performed and a substantial portion of the rent and/or room and board is reduced as a part of the overall compensation for the work performed.
(4) Students with a documented medical issue that is incompatible with living in a university residence hall. The director of disability support services will evaluate documentation and make a recommendation regarding this exception.
(5) Students for whom living in a university residence hall would cause undue financial hardship.
(6) Students who will reach the age of twenty-one during their first year at the university.
(7) Students who have attended an institution of higher education as a full-time student for at least two regular semesters or three regular quarters. Enrollments during summer terms or while simultaneously completing high school requirements, e.g., Running Start or similar programs, do not count as previous attendance under this exception.
(8) Students who have unique situations, not otherwise covered in this section, that could make living in a residence hall unduly burdensome.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.35.120(12). WSR 13-24-122, § 172-130-020, filed 12/4/13, effective 9/1/14.]


Applications for permission to reside off campus are available from the Eastern Washington University Department of Housing and Residential Life, 1027 Cedar St., Cheney, WA 99004. Applications are reviewed and a determination is made whether an exception will be granted. Persons applying for such exception will be informed of the decision in writing. Requests for reconsideration of the decision may be submitted to the dean of students within ten working days of the date the student receives notice that their request has been denied. The dean of students, or designee, will evaluate the appeal and approve or deny the appeal. The decision by the dean of students is final; no further appeals are available.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 28B.35.120(12). WSR 13-24-122, § 172-130-030, filed 12/4/13, effective 9/1/14.]