The Eastern Washington University Student Emergency Fund is made possible through generous donations to provide compassionate assistance to students who encounter catastrophic events that may hamper their academic progress.
Our goal is to help students during a time of need stay in school and make progress towards a degree. Priority will be given to students whose tenure at EWU may be at risk because of these events. Typically, funds will not exceed $500
Types of Covered Expenses:
Student emergency funds are one-time funds used to assist students in the event of an emergency that cannot be anticipated and has resulted in immediate (typically temporary) financial hardship, such as a natural disaster, the sudden death of parents or spouse, a violent crime, etc. Items that may be covered:
- Books and other essential academic supplies
- Replacement of essential personal belongings, due to fire, flood, theft, etc.
- Safety needs (i.e. changing a lock)
Expenses Not Covered:
Student emergency funds are not available to assist students whose expenses exceed their income and/or who have suffered a job loss (either personally or by a member of the family). Items that may NOT be covered:
- Tuition, fees, health insurance, and study abroad costs
- Rent, utilities, household, or furniture costs
- Auto repair, parking tickets
- Costs for entertainment, recreation, or other non-essential expenses
- Applicants must be a currently enrolled and attending full-time student (undergraduate or graduate) at EWU
- Must be attending summer session classes to be considered for funds during the summer
- An individual is only eligible one time per academic year at EWU to receive emergency assistance.
- Other possible resources have been considered and are not available or are insufficient
- Must be experiencing an unexpected financial hardship resulting from an emergency or crisis situation that threatens your ability to successfully complete the quarter
- Appropriate documentation of catastrophic event and/or circumstances surrounding crisis
- Good standing with the university
To include but not limited to:
- Documentation (photos, videos, news articles)
- Letters of support (usually witness of your needs)
- Fill out application, supply appropriate documentation and submit to the Student Care Team office, PUB 301
- If approved, you will be notified of the fund amount within approximately 48 hours of approval
- Decisions regarding distributions of monies from the student emergency fund are made on a case-by-case basis and all decisions are final
If you are currently receiving financial aid, please be aware that receiving emergency funds may affect your current and future aid awards.
If you are in need and believe that you meet all qualifications for the student emergency fund, click on the link below to the application forms and follow the procedure listed above.
For more information or to ask questions contact the Student Care Team:
Office: 509-359-7924 or come in to PUB 301