It can be overwhelming to report a sexual assault and it is important for you to know you have options. For the safety and security of our campus, EWU must investigate all claims of violence within the community, whether the survivor chooses to participate or not.
Option 1: EWU Conduct Code Process ONLY
- Fill out a Student Concern/Incident Report Form or
- Report the assault by contacting EWU Police at 509.359.7676; EWU can assist in contacting the local Police Department.
- The campus investigation and hearing process will be explained by Student Rights and Responsibilities (SRR).
- EWU will initiate a campus investigation and you will be notified of the outcome.
- EWU and SRR may issue sanctions to students involved.
- A campus hearing will be facilitated by SRR (in the case of a student on student assault).
- You will be notified of the outcome of a campus hearing regardless of your level of participation.
Option 2: Criminal Process ONLY
- Report the assault by dialing 911. You can contact EWU Police 509.359.7676 and they can assist you.
- You can request a Protection Order through Spokane County.
- Advocacy support and assistance can be provided through the Dean of Students Office by calling 509.359.7924. Consultation through Lutheran Community Service is available on campus and can be scheduled by calling 509.343.5057.
- An investigation is conducted by the local police with possible assistance from EWU Police.
- The completed investigation report is forwarded to the appropriate Prosecuting Attorney's Office for possible prosecution.
- Prosecution may occur in criminal court.
Option 3: EWU Conduct Code Process AND the Criminal Process
Option 4: Neither EWU Conduct Code Process nor the Criminal Process
Reporting an act of sexual violence can be confusing. A survivor may be unsure if or when they would like to report and incident. Talking with someone for support, or to discuss if and when to report an assault can be helpful. Support/reporting options include:
- EWU Police (24/7) - 509.359.7676
- EWU Student Care Team - 509.359.7924 - PUB 301
- Title IX Coordinator - 509.359.2021