Ways to Join A Chapter &
Tips for Recruitment
Ways to Join A Chapter
DIVERSIFIED GREEK COUNCIL (DGC) & NATIONAL PAN-HELLENIC COUNCIL (NPHC) FRATERNITIES & SORORITIES
DGC and NPHC Fraternities and Sororities hold informational sessions throughout the year and engage in a membership intake process unique to each individual organization. Membership Intake occurs throughout the academic year and assists students in learning more about a specific organization and the initiation process. Many sororities and fraternities will advertise informational sessions on campus. Be on the look out!
Before attending an informational session, it is recommended that you research the organization that is hosting the informational session. Great resources for researching organizations engaging in informational sessions at EWU include: The National Association of Fraternal Organizations (NALFO) and the National Pan-Hellenic Council, Inc. (NPHC). Requirements for membership vary, but all have minimum GPA requirements in order to join.
INTERFRATERNITY COUNCIL (IFC) & PANHELLENIC COUNCIL SPONSORED FORMAL RECRUITMENT
The IFC Fraternities and Panhellenic Sororities provide a formal recruitment process in the winter. If you choose to go through formal recruitment you will have a Recruitment Guide to help guide you during the week of recruitment. This person will be on-hand to answer any questions you have, to help you get to the right destination, listen to your concerns and answer your questions.
Recruitment schedules will be posted at least one month prior to formal recruitment and we encourage you to check back often. For now, know that recruitment for both Interfraternity Council Fraternities and Panhellenic Sororities will occur the second and third week of school. Recruitment has been designed to not conflict with your class schedule.
Men's and women's formal recruitment provides students with the opportunity to meet members from all of the member organizations, learn about them and make decisions regarding what chapter they believe fits them best.
Tips for Sorority Recruitment
Questions to Ask During Recruitment
Sorority recruitment is about engaging in good conversations with women throughout the sorority community. Here are some questions you can ask at the chapters throughout recruitment!
- How can I get involved?
- What activities are you/your chapter involved in?
- I am interested in __________. How are you involved in this organization/major or how can I get involved with it on campus?
- What is the time commitment in your chapter?
- What is your favorite sorority memory?
- What are the benefits of being in a sorority?
- What are the benefits of being in your chapter?
- What do you love about being a sorority woman?
- What do you love about being in your chapter?
- What was your freshman year like?
- What GPA am I required to maintain?
- What is your philanthropy?
- What is your live-in requirement?
- What is it like living in?
Tips for Fraternity Recruitment
Questions to ask at recruitment events:
- Why did you pick the fraternity you are in?
- What are the financial obligations to the fraternity?
- What kinds of social activities are planned for the fraternity?
- How will I know which fraternity is best for me?
- What are the grade expectations of the fraternity?
- What is the fraternity's philanthropy?
- What is the time commitment of new members to the fraternity?
- Are men of the fraternity involved in other campus organizations? If so, what kind of organizations do they belong to?
- What have you enjoyed most about being Greek?
- What types of community service activities has your fraternity been a part of?
- What values are important to your organization?
- What is your new member education/orientation program like? What is its purpose?
- How will your organization help prepare me for graduation and life after college?
- What makes your chapter unique?