Effective: January 4, 2014
These rules govern the use of recreational equipment on Eastern Washington University’s campus. The purpose of this chapter is to protect campus property from physical damage and unnecessary wear and to facilitate safety and access.
For the purposes of this chapter, recreational equipment includes, but is not limited to, skateboards, longboards, roller skates, inline skates, skate shoes, foot scooters, and similar equipment.
Use of recreational equipment.
Recreational equipment may only be used on asphalt or concrete campus walkways and sidewalks, and only in a way that does not interfere with pedestrian traffic or other campus activities.
(1) Recreational equipment is prohibited on grass, benches, stairways, steps, sculpture, art work, hand rails, inside buildings, plazas, walls, barriers, brick walkways, and any other campus property other than paved walkways and sidewalks.
(2) Speeds in excess of five miles per hour are prohibited. (3) Performing stunts or tricks is prohibited.
(4) Any use of recreational equipment that may cause property damage and/or endanger the user or others is prohibited.
(5) Recreational equipment users shall yield the right of way to pedestrians at all times.
(1) Any student who violates these regulations may be asked to refrain from using recreational equipment on campus. Any student who refuses to comply with such a request and/or repeatedly violates these regulations will be subject to disciplinary action under the student conduct code, chapter 172–121 WAC.
(2) A user of recreational equipment, other than an Eastern Washington University (EWU) student, who violates these regulations may be asked to leave the campus. A person who fails to comply with a request to leave campus may be charged with criminal trespass under the provisions of chapter 9A.52 RCW.