Weekend Warriors Study Sessions
The Program Leading to University Success (PLUS) piloted a modified study group service in winter quarter 2021 called Weekend Warriors which was informed by student feedback and service usage with our move to online learning at EWU in 2020-2021.
In order to meet the needs of EWU students, we now offer various course-specific Weekend Warriors sessions that meet on Zoom twice a week; 1 hour on a weekday (Mon.-Fri.), and 1 hour on a weekend day (Sat. or Sun.) with evening availability.
Unlike regular study groups, we have students sign-up for the service like tutoring and commit to attending each session held during the quarter. Based on initial student feedback, they are more inclined to attend if there is an attendance policy.
Weekend Warriors will be offered this spring quarter 2021, so sign up for courses you are enrolled in using the red button above!
What Do Students Like About PLUS Weekend Warrior Sessions so Far?
This is a great program and I am so happy I signed up. I can honestly say that as a result of this program, my tutoring sessions and the Math labs[,] I am doing great in my Math 107 class. By the way - Math is not my thing but this program has made if fun and much easier to learn.
Current strategies are good. Reviewing practice problems and the concepts behind them is helpful.
Having small quizzes based on material we have been covering and then go over it together.
Well run session[s].
I have learned so much from my [facilitator]. She is able to take complex concepts and disseminate them in simple terms, making it easier to understand.
I really like they way my [facilitator] has set up our sessions. everyone is engaged.
This is a great program and has helped me to be more successful in my class.
PLUS Weekend Warrior Sessions
- Attendance is mandatory with sign-up
- Flexible initial scheduling
- Coverage varies but primarily includes business, mathematics, and physical science courses
- Two sessions a week; 1 hour on a weekday (Mon.-Fri.), and 1 hour on a weekend day (Sat. or Sun.) with evening availability.
- Weekly session dates and times are determined by student polling using a Doodle.com
- Students in the same course collaborate, discuss concepts, and problem solve in a small group environment facilitated by a more knowledgeable peer facilitator
- Students must watch/attend all lectures prior to session and come prepared to participate and ask questions.
For more information, please contact the PLUS Study Groups/Weekend Warriors Retention Specialist:
Room M28, EWU Learning Commons, JFK Library