Eastern Washington University Vehicle Operator Expectations
All drivers must maintain a valid driver’s license and EWU ID Card or letter of authorization from your department, and have it on your person when operating a vehicle.
Authorized Renters and Drivers
- EWU Faculty
- EWU Staff
- Currently enrolled EWU Student
- Official EWU volunteers
Note: All drivers must be at least 18 years old, have a valid driver’s license, and have two years driving experience. And all drivers need to have their own EWU ID.
- All authorized renters and drivers
- Vendors and business partners in the course of University business
- Visiting dignitaries, speakers, scholars
- Prospective employees and students
- Participants in officially sanctioned EWU programs
Not Authorized as Renters, Drivers or Passengers
- Minor children under age 18 may not drive EWU-owned vehicles
- Members of student groups (registered or not), contractors, or temporary employees without explicit sponsorship from a EWU department that vehicle use is for official EWU business
- Conference attendees
- Family, spouses, children, friends, and acquaintances of faculty, staff, and students
- Those who are not covered by insurance policies carried or coordinated by EWU Risk Services
What a Driver needs to know
- Inspect the assigned vehicle report any damage to your assigned department supervisor prior to use.
- Any use of a state vehicle must be used for state business only. No personal errands or travel for for personal use.
- Safely organize and store equipment/supplies in the vehicle so they are secure in the event of a sudden stop.
- Wear a seat belt and ensure that all passengers also wear seat belts. Make sure there is a seat belt for each passenger in the vehicle.
- Practice defensive driving techniques.
- Washington’s cell phone law is in effect, which means that any person holding a cell phone to their ear or using a cell phone for reading, typing or sending text messages can be fined $124 per traffic infraction. This is a primary offense, which means that police can pull you over if they witness illegal cell phone use. Stop the vehicle to make or receive cell phone calls.
- You must report any accident immediately to your supervisor. Every EWU vehicle will have reporting paperwork inside i.e. SF 137 Accident Form & Proof of Insurance. Whenever possible a police report should also be secured at the time of the accident.
- Obey all posted speed limits, taking into consideration road conditions, weather, traffic conditions, and pedestrians.
- Clean and wash the vehicle as needed to maintain a positive appearance.
- Do not apply bumper stickers, miscellaneous decals, signs, or ornaments to University vehicles. Only University approved logos and labeling shall be installed.
- Do not modify the vehicle in any way. Vehicle modifications must be approved/performed with the consent of department supervisor and the EWU Automotive Shop. Fees may apply for removal or repair for extraneous items not approved.
- Keep the floors and steps of the vehicle free from items that could cause slips, falls, or could be tossed around. Secure all loads and do not remove installed partitions or gates.
- Fuel and service the vehicle at the EWU Fuel Farm or Automotive shop when location of vehicle is on or near Cheney campus.
- Promptly respond promptly to maintenance requests by scheduling an appointment with the Automotive Shop (509)359-4638.
- The Automotive Shop performs maintenance and safety inspections as recommended by the designated maintenance schedule.
- Do not smoke or consume alcohol while driving a University vehicle and do not transport alcoholic beverages. Do not drive a vehicle when feeling drowsy, or while taking medication that may cause drowsiness.
- Do not transport animals in a University vehicle with the exception of companions for the disabled and/or visually impaired.
Short Term Rentals
EWU Motor Pool Rates 2017-2018
|Full size sedan||Mini vans||Maxi vans|
|Rental basis||$43.50 / day||$63.00 / day||$74.00 / day|
|4 hours or less||$21.75||$31.50 / day||$37.00 / day|
|Mileage||.25 / mile||.35 / mile||.45 / mile|
**The 7th consecutive day of rental is free.
For reservations, please contact Todd Standish at (509)359-2483
Required safety education or training for drivers of full size vans
Before you can rent a full sized van from Motor Pool you must complete the following:
- Watch Coaching the Van Driver Video
- Take the written test afterwards.
- Take the driving test afterwards.
These steps can be scheduled by calling Todd Standish at (509)359-2483 in EWU Motor Pool.
Please review the Washington State Enterprise Transportation Policy listed at the following link: