DSS Student Rights and Responsiblities
DSS Student Rights
1. Under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, EWU students with a documented disability have a right to "reasonable accommodations" which provides an "equal opportunity" to participate in all programs of the university if they are "otherwise qualified" for the program. Disability Support Services staff, instructors, other university personnel, and the students work together to determine and provide appropriate accommodations.
2. EWU students with a disability have the right to fair and equal treatment by instructors and other university personnel in receiving appropriate accommodations.
3. EWU students with a disability have a right to participate in the determination of appropriate accommodations for themselves with the DSS staff.
4. EWU students with a disability have the right to appeal decisions made concerning what accommodations are appropriate for them.
5. EWU students with a disability have a right to report discrimination on the basis of their disability to the DSS Director/ADA Compliance Officer and/or the U.S. Office of Civil Rights (OCR). Information re: OCR can be obtained from the DSS Office.
DSS Student Responsibilities
1. Students have the responsibility to meet with the DSS staff and with their instructors to arrange appropriate accommodations.
2. Students must provide written documentation of their disability from a professional services provider to DSS to obtain services. This documentation must describe the disability, provide results and interpretation of tests performed (if appropriate), describe any limitations the student may experience in the educational/college life setting and provide suggestions for reasonable accommodation.
3. Students are responsible for scheduling services in advance according to the DSS procedures established for those services.
4. Students have the responsibility to remind instructors of pre-arranged testing accommodations in DSS Office to ensure that tests will be delivered and picked up with instructions.
5. Students scheduled to complete tests in the DSS Office are responsible for scheduling a testing time five days in advance with DSS staff.
6. If completing a test in the DSS Office, students must be on time. If the student is later than 10 mins. to take a test, it may result in loss of testing space.
7. Students must return all equipment and materials checked out from DSS at the end of the current quarter before leaving campus. Failure to return borrowed equipment will result in the loss of the right to use the services.
8. Students are responsible for becoming familiar with all DSS policies and procedures.
Please visit the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities and EWU Student Conduct Code.