Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Certificate
Coming this Fall 2022, EWU introduces the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Certificate from the Office for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion. This program is open to campus and community organizations. Questions may be directed to the Office for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion by phone at (509) 359-4769 or by email at Diversityandlnclusion@ewu.edu.
Please note: There are no scholarships available. All scholarships have all been awarded.
Due to a generous donation from US Bank, we were able to offer 10 scholarships of $1,500 each to cover the cost of the program. Scholarships were given on a need basis, and instructions to apply were included in the general application.
This year's facilitators and their biographies
About the Program:
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) have become major topics of discussion on local, national, and global levels. With an increased focus on the workplace, corporations, businesses, health care industries, social services, higher education, and other organizational environments must acquire knowledge on the role of diversity, equity, and inclusion in attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that accurately reflects society. Recognition that the workplace is becoming increasingly diverse has resulted in many organizational environments striving to create inclusive climates that are respectful and value differences. Fortune 500 companies and Corporate Boards have touted the benefits of a variety of perspectives, and life experiences, resulting in increased revenue, success enhanced problem-solving, and better understanding of the consumer.
The global pandemic provided a world that was much quieter, and one in which interactions with each other were severely limited. During this period a spotlight was focused on the violence that played out on television screens across the country, including the murder of George Floyd. Mr. Floyd's death was an impetus for racial awareness, racial reckoning, and the pursuit of equity for Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC). Amidst the political divisiveness, violence against Black and Brown people, the murders of indigenous girls and women and transgender populations, magnified the importance and urgency of supporting and understanding diverse people, cultures and communities.
With a heightened awareness of the importance of understanding and valuing differences in the workplace, the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion certificate is designed for individuals who are interested in:
• Strengthening their knowledge regarding Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEi)
• Creating a workplace environment that is a microcosm of society
• Providing a workplace that celebrates, respects, and values each individual
• Recognizing that each person has worth and the potential to contribute to the work environment
• Increasing recruitment and retention of underrepresented populations to your organization
• Addressing your curiosity about diverse people, cultures, and traditions
Participants will learn actionable strategies to increase employee engagement, counter unconscious bias, recognize and address systemic racism, and build an inclusive and aware work culture. Multiple modalities will be used for learning, including videos, lectures, virtual group discussions and case studies.
Course topics may include:
• Why Understanding Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Matters in the Workplace, Categories of Diversity
• Counteracting Unconscious Bias, Microaggressions and Systemic Racism
• Recruiting and sustaining a diverse workforce
• Identity, Power, and Privilege; How to address difficult dialogues
• Gender Theory, Gender Diversity and Trans-Inclusive Spaces
• Inclusive Leadership, who is included?
• Diversity Challenges in a Changing Landscape
• The program consists of weekly two-hour virtual courses over seven weeks. Additional study outside of the classroom may be required
• Weekly courses are offered on Tuesday evenings from 5:45 p.m. to 7:45 p.m. PST, October 4 through November 15, 2022.
• Courses are led by subject matter and industry-expert instructors who will guide you, challenge you and help you to apply the course concepts to your real-world and on-the-job circumstances
• Upon completion of the program, you are awarded a Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Certificate from Eastern Washington University's Office for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
• The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Certificate demonstrates a workplace culture of knowledge and awareness of current multicultural topics
• The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Certificate program improves leadership skills, cross-cultural communication, and the ability to identify and take action on challenges faced by underrepresented populations