Sustainability embodies the premise that we must make mindful decisions about the quality of life for ourselves and future generations. EWU Dining Services has the ethical and moral obligation to carefully assess all of our decisions that correspond to the “triple bottom line” issues of economic viability, social justice and environmental preservation. We recognize that the benefits to all of our local and global neighbors are substantial and we want to be part of creating a healthier world.
Sustainable Practice Highlights
- Increased use of earth-friendly disposables.
- Increased composting.
- Use of a primary vendor to increase efficiency and decrease miles traveled.
- Reduce packaging waste through bulk purchasing.
- Use EcoProducts, which are renewable and compostable products.
- Use EcoLab Chemical products, which meet our environmental impact goals.
- Use of golf carts whenever possible to reduce fuel use in food transportation.
- Dining logo napkins are made of 100% recycled materials.
- Increased fryer oil efficiency more than ten times.
- Discarded fryer oil is recycled into bio-diesel fuel by SeQuential.
- Use 100% post-consumer recycled paper.
- Use of reusable swipe cards for special events.
Sustainability is based on a simple principle: maintaining a delicate balance between the human need to improve lifestyle and feeling of well-being on one hand, and preserving natural resources and ecosystems on which we and future generations depend on the other.