EWU Dietitian’s Pick Criteria
A Dietitian’s Pick food product first must meet at least one of these listed requirements:
• Be whole grain rich (first ingredient must be a whole grain or may be the second ingredient if this first ingredient is water)
• The first ingredient listed on a product must be a fruit, vegetable, dairy, or protein food
• Must contain at least 10% of the Daily Value of one of the nutrients of public health concern as outlined in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans: Potassium, Fiber, Choline, Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamins A, D, E, & C.
• Must be a beverage free from added sugars and artificial sweeteners.
A Dietitian’s Pick food product must meet at least three of these listed requirements:
• Sodium: ≤200 mg (Individual Item) or ≤ 30% of daily recommended consumption (Main Dish Product)
• Total Fat: ≤35% from calories
• Saturated Fat: ≤10% of calories
• Trans-Fat: ≤0 grams
• Sugar: ≤35% of weight from total serving weight
Can also be a Dietitian’s Pick if < 3 are met but not one of the general criteria met.
Liquid products intended for consumption are considered to be a Dietitian’s Pick beverage, regardless of their ability to fall under any of the above listed categories for food products. A Dietitian’s Pick beverage product must meet all of the following requirements:
• Contain 0 grams of added sugars, regardless of the source
• Contain 0 grams of added sugar alternatives and substitutes, regardless of the source