You’ve probably noticed that many people, including the Career Advisors, are asking you to engage over Zoom.
Zoom is video conferencing software typically used with the camera and microphone on your computer, laptop, or mobile device. It’s offered for free if you are affiliated with EWU as student, faculty, or staff.
If you do not fall in this category, there are still some free services you can access on Zoom.
Enter your meeting ID from a Zoom meeting invite or login to the dashboard using your SSO:
Quick Tips for a Successful Zoom Meeting
- Find a quiet space. Mute your microphone until you need to speak if there background noise like pets, children, traffic, etc.
- Test your technology before the meeting. You can create a “personal meeting” to practice.
- Position your camera so it’s at eye level so it appears as though you are looking at them and not up, down, or to the side.
- Have an alternate plan if you run into issues, i.e. phone, email, etc. You can use Zoom’s chat window in a pinch if you are running into an audio issue.
- Make sure your device is charged.
- Wearing headphones can reduce audio feedback.
- If you are the meeting creator, keep meetings secure by requiring a password.
- If you are using a downloaded Zoom background for an interview, make sure it’s professional.
- EWU-themed virtual Zoom backgrounds
- 8 Zoom Office Backgrounds To Make Your Video Calls Look Professional
Want more tips? Check out this article on how to be a Zoom power user!
Don’t worry if things don’t work out perfectly. Many others are new to this as well and are figuring this out together!