- Examine your values. Do what's important to you. Don't sweat the small stuff. Get the leisure time you need to avoid burnout. Use goals for daily living.
- Build yourself up. Have positive 'self-talks.' Discipline yourself not to overreact emotionally to stressful situations. Anticipate life change events and plan for them in advance if possible. Affirm your value.
- Learn to relax. Meditate. Listen to soothing music. Breathe deeply and block out the world twice a day for 15 minutes or so. Pace yourself and give yourself time to recharge.
- Exercise regularly. Three to four times a week for 30-60 minutes a session.
- Eat sensibly. Maintain your normal weight with a low-fat, high carbohydrate diet (or follow the most recent recommendations of health professionals).
- Avoid chemical solutions. Stop smoking. Avoid caffeine. Limit your alcohol and avoid other drugs.
- Take control of your life. Maintain a sense of humor. Delegate responsibility and combat perfectionism. Resist unreasonable demands on your time. Spend time with your family. Nurture your friendships and do things you enjoy. Always keep one foot in something comfortable. Live through your values.
Thoughts to keep in mind that counteract the need to be perfect:
- I would like to do my best with this effort, but I do not have to be perfect.
- I'm still a good person even when I make a mistake.
- I can do something well and appreciate it, without it being perfect.
- I will be happier and perform better if I try to work at a realistic level, rather than demanding perfection.
- It is impossible for anyone to function perfectly all the time.
- Mistakes are teachers, and we're all getting an education...
List of Affirmations
Compose your own affirmations. Affirmations that work best are short, simple, and positive. Below are examples that have been helpful for others.
- I'm basically all right as I am.
- I have worth because I struggle to survive.
- I have legitimate needs.
- I am responsible for my life.
- I accept the consequences of my actions.
- I feel warm and loving toward myself.
- I did the best I could at the time.
- I am letting go of unwise choices in the past.
- My mere existence proves my worth.
- I am lovable and capable.